And you know what? Even when I have chosen a word, I haven't followed through on making it meaningful. On using it with intention.
And I want this year to be different.
So I sat down to think (and think) about the word I wanted to choose.
And I thought about something that happened when we were in Florence.
The owner of the apartment we were renting came by to meet with us. He was just lovely. We chatted about Italy and about our big family. I was telling him how in America people make interesting (?!?!?) -read thoughtless at times- comments about large families.
And how plenty of people think we are just nuts.
Recently someone said to me "I don't know why someone would want to have four kids!". Uhhh....what's the proper response to that? I'll tell you what. The slow blink.
He said crazy? Oh no! Coraggioso.
And you know what? It was one of the most beautiful words I've ever heard. Most words tend to be prettier in Italian...but this one just went straight to my heart.
I want to be courageous.
And that's my word for 2014.Coraggioso.
2. I want to make decisions that aren't always the easiest and the safest. I'm sick and tired of censoring myself based on whether someone else may or may not agree with what I have to say.
3. I want to show my girls how to live life courageously.
4. I want to try new things professionally this year, things I've been scared of.
5. I want to explore this world.
6. I want to be able to ask for what I want. What I need.
7. I want to be honest with myself.
8. I want to love courageously and completely.
9. I want to immerse myself in this culture and language without worrying about making a fool of myself.
10. I want to be strong. Physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally.
I want to live life courageously. I want this year to mean something. I don't want it to slip through my fingers or pass in a flurry of not remembering.
That's my OLW. What's yours?
What is One Little Word?
It's a wonderful concept that the amazing Ali came up with.
You can read all about it here.
Ali is also offering a class that you can join here.