Hey y’all! Welcome to the July edition of what I’m reading!
Here’s what I’ve read lately and what I’ve got coming up.
1. We Were Liars | by E Lockhart – This book totally surprised me. And that rarely happens these days. The writing style takes a little getting used to (and it annoyed me at times) but it’s a quick and captivating read. I have other books by this author on order because I’m now a fan.
2. Sweet Forgiveness | by Lori Nelson Spielman – This one was a pretty easy chick-lit type of read. But I had some serious problems with the way that the author handled certain issues…mainly abuse. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also never really connected with the main character.
3. A Man Called Ove | by Fredrick Backman – I mentioned this one already in a previous post. I LOVED this one and it was my only five star this book. Try to tell me you don’t fall in love with Ove after reading this book. He’s the most lovable curmudgeon EVER. This book made me laugh and cry in equal measures and it captivated me from the very beginning.
4. That Night | by Chevy Stevens- I thought this was a really interesting premise for a book but by the end I had lost interest. Not sure why, it just happens sometimes.
5. The Animals | by Christian Kiefer – This was definitely not an easy-breezy summer read and it’s probably not for everyone but I thought this book was so freaking interesting. A man (who’s made serious mistakes in his past) moves to the middle of nowhere to run a wildlife rescue. I loved the parts from his past and from his present equally and I loved his relationship with the animals. This book is pretty violent and raw so if you don’t like that then you won’t like this book. One of the strangest books I’ve read in a while but I mean that in a really good way.
6. Luckiest Girl Alive | by Jessica Knoll- There’s been a ton of buzz about this book and while it was worth the read, I have to tell you I HATED the main character. Despised her. There was nothing redeeming about her to me. That said, it’s worth a read.
7. You |by Caroline Kepnes- Y’all. This book FREAKED me OUT. The creepiest grossest book I’ve read in a long time. Listen. It’s graphic. I warned you. And I don’t even know what I thought about it. I still shudder thinking about it. I honestly didn’t know how to rate it. Obsession, stalking…yeah. Disturbing.
1. The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared |Jonas Jonasson
1. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks | E Lockhart
2. Since You’ve Been Gone | Morgan Matson
3. The Book of Speculation | Erika Swyler
4. The Royal We | Heather Cocks
5. The Summer of Good Intentions | Wendy Francis
Whew! That’s it for this month! As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts + recommendations.